Foreign Ownership of Landed Properties

Foreign Ownership of Properties

For foreign person who wishes to purchase a landed residential property  (The Whitley Residences), you are required to seek Government (Singapore Land Authority)  in-principle approval.


A foreign person means any person who is not a – 

  • a) Singapore citizen;

  • b) Singapore company;

  • c) Singapore limited liability partnership; or

  • d) Singapore society.

The ownership of such properties by foreigners is restricted to those who make adequate economic contribution to Singapore. The ownership restrictions are provided in the Singapore Residential Property Act.

You can apply the in-principle approval online here: 

You are required to select the "APPLY FOR APPROVAL-IN-PRINCIPLE TO BUY RESIDENTIAL PROPERTY" and to upload the digital or scanned copies of the following documents at the end of the application.

  1. 1) Identity card

  2. 2) Entry Permit

  3. 3) Marriage certificate

  4. 4) Pay advice

  5. 5) 3 years of tax assessment

For more information on foreign ownership of residential properties, please refer to the FAQs.

You can also send an email or contact SLA at:

Land Dealings Approval Unit
Singapore Land Authority
55 Newton Road
#12-01 Revenue House
Singapore 307987
Tel: 6478-3444

Frequently Asked Questions

1. What types of property must a foreign person seek approval to purchase?

  • a) Vacant residential land;

  • b) Terrace house;

  • c) Semi-detached house;

  • d) Bungalow/detached house;

  • e) Strata landed house which is not within an approved condominium development under the Planning Act (eg. townhouse or cluster house); 

  • f) Shophouse (for non-commercial use);

  • g) Association premises;

  • h) Place of worship; and

  • i) Worker’s dormitory/service apartments/boarding house (not registered under the provisions of the Hotels Act).

2. What types of property can a foreign person purchase without approval?

  • a) Condominium unit;

  • b) Flat unit;

  • c) Strata landed house in an approved condominium development;

  • d) A leasehold estate in a landed residential property for a term not exceeding 7 years, including any further term which may be granted by way of an option for renewal; 

  • e) Shophouse (for commercial use); 

  • f) Industrial and commercial properties; 

  • g) Hotel (registered under the provisions of the Hotels Act); and

  • h) Executive condominium unit, HDB flat and HDB shophouse.

3. What are the criterias for approval?

  • a) you must be a permanent resident of Singapore; and

  • b) you must make adequate economic contribution to Singapore.


4. Can I apply even though I do not have a property in mind?

Yes, you may apply for an approval in-principle. In fact, you are encouraged to do so before entering into any contract to purchase a restricted property so as to avoid any forfeiture of monies paid in the event you are not granted approval to acquire the property. 

If approval is granted, you have to submit the details of the property you intend to purchase within 6 months from the date of the letter of approval. Otherwise, the approval will lapse and you will have to make a fresh application. There is no extension of validity for the approval in-principle granted.

5. What is the processing time?

About 20 working days from the date all information and documents are received by us. The processing time includes verifying the information with other agencies, checking if the applicant or his spouse owns restricted property, as well as the assessment of the application by the Residential Property Advisory Committee before the final recommendation is sent to the Minister for consideration.

6. Is there any restriction on the property that I can buy?

Yes. The land area of the property must not exceed 1,393.5 sq metres or 15,000 sq feet. In addition, the property must not be situated within a good class bungalow (GCB) area.

6. 1. What are the conditions of approval?


The conditions are that -

  • a) you shall use the property solely for your own occupation and that of the members of your family as a dwelling house and not for rental or any other purpose;

  • b) you shall not dispose of the property within 5 years from the date of legal completion of the purchase of the property or, if the property is under construction, 5 years from the date of issue of the Temporary Occupation Permit or Certificate of Statutory Completion (whichever is issued earlier) for the property; and 

  • c) you shall not subdivide the property without approval.

  • d) For unauthorised disposal of a restricted residential property during the non-disposal period, the fine will be raised to a maximum of $200,000. As an additional safeguard, the Controller of Residential Property will be empowered to lodge a caveat on restricted residential properties purchased pursuant to an approval granted under the RPA.

  • e) For unauthorised rental of a restricted residential property, the previous criminal sanction will be removed and replaced by a financial penalty of up to three times the rental income earned over the period of breach, or $10,000, whichever is higher. 

  • f) Individuals who renounce or lose their Singapore Citizenship or Permanent Residency will be required to dispose of their restricted residential properties within two years.

  • g) Executors or administrators of the estate of deceased restricted residential property owners will have five years, instead of ten years previously, to dispose of the foreign beneficiaries’ interest in a restricted residential property if the beneficiaries do not qualify for approval under the RPA.

7. I own a restricted property. Can I apply to purchase another restricted property?

Yes, you may, provided you have fulfilled the 5-year non-disposal condition. However, if you are granted approval for the purchase, you will be required to dispose of your existing restricted property as follows:

  • a) on or before the date of legal completion of the purchase of the new property; or

  • b) within 3 months from the date of issue of the Temporary Occupation Permit or Certificate of Statutory Completion (whichever is issued earlier) if the property is under construction; or

  • c) within 3 months from the date the seller delivers vacant possession of the new property for which the Temporary Occupation Permit has been issued but separate title has not been issued yet.

References from

Ready for Immediate Occupation
View Show Suites Today

By Appointment Only
+65 6100 0975